Pages

2.05.2010

Biscuit Bake-Off!

Before

After

(from left going clock-wise: first attempt at scratch, Pillsbury Grands Homestyle Biscuits, Pillsbury Flaky Layers Buttermilk Biscuits, my second attempt at scratch)


It was one of those night that I wake up at 3:45am and my mind starts on my tasks for the next day/week/month/year. I seriously treasure my sleep, so these nights tend to make me some what of a monster. As I was thinking of my life over the next few weeks, my mind wandered to the bridal shower that I am cooking for next week. I have been mulling over in my head since I planned the menu whether to use a store bought easy-to-assemble biscuit or a from-scratch biscuit (obviously I know this is better, but I am thinking of timing and my one busy oven) to accompany the sliced honey ham that will be part of the luncheon. The bride is living in the South now and I am making a southern ladies lunch (Mac & Cheese is involved), but more on that later. After 4 different attempts here are the results.

The taste factor plays a big role in this for me. Although it may stress me out, the from scratch buttermilk biscuits do not contain that weird tang that the store bought biscuits do. If I did not have the time to bake them, I would recommend the Pillsbury Flaky Layers Biscuits. Let me clarify that baking is NOT my forte. The measuring, double checking of recipe, clean up and the ridiculous amount of flour that ends up on me is just not my thing. So when I attempted the from scratch biscuits the first time around I added 2 tablespoons of extra butter, it was super sticky, impossible to cut and they ended up small and flat. The second attempt was much better and I am enjoying one right now with strawberry jam.

So in the end I am going to risk the stress that comes with trying a recipe for only the third time on the day of (I found that biscuits can not be made the day ahead, another reason I am really not into this baking thing) an event. Just over here jumping off a cliff, although I may be picking up a couple cans of biscuits (just in case!).


Note: I doubled the cooking time on the above recipe. It took almost 20 minutes for mine to brown, so keep an eye on them.

Enjoy!
xoxo
Erin

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...